Sunday, October 7, 2012

Recent work "Intrigue"

This work I called "Intrigue" because of how the creative process was so natural and organic.  In that lies the irony.  A geometric, inorganic, and synthetic abstraction came into existence in a purely organic way.  Initially, I had a 6 inch ring made from 1/4' square steel bar.  I had just previously sold my large art nouveau floral panel and needed to fill my wall with something.  It had to have substantial size but weigh next to nothing.  Seeing that, and the fact I had rough almost 8 feet of 1/4" square bar, I proceeded.  I started with rectangular frame and contemplated using the ring.  The ring needed to draw the focus and be at least somewhat central.  The intersecting lines coming in at a right angle where a last minute shot in the dark.  It work out in the end.  The hemispherical pipe cap fit perfectly between the line and the fame.  It was if it was made only for this sculpture.  The torch perforated sheet metal add to the reflective properties and cast interesting shadows.  All this was brought together by braze welding the steel with bronze filler rod.  This creates an aesthetic contrast with the grey steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment