Friday, January 25, 2013

Stainless Steel In Metal Art

 Mid century sculpture with stainless steel accents

Sometime in July 2011, I encountered some stainless steel stick welding electrodes on ebay.  They where at a price I could not pass up so i bought them.  I had purchase (4) 5 pound cans of electrodes total for $100!  Normally, stainless steel electrodes would be $90 for 10 pounds.  Two of the cans where E308-15 which means they are for welding stainless to stainless and are DC+.  As an experiment, I decided to weld some strips of 304 stainless together until I had square frames.  I was impressed how well the electrodes worked.  I left the squares sit for six months until I had an idea.  After aquiring two oval pieces I imagined a small yet very interesting mid century space age sculpture come to mind.  The photo above shows how my idea came to life.


Abstract Stainless Tree

The most appealing aspect of stainless steel is its natural silver color.  It makes for elegant contrast with painted metal.  In the composition featured in the photos "Tree of Knowledge"


No comments:

Post a Comment