Friday, October 21, 2011

Another Rust Patina Formula

Another rust patina formula for steel art


In an earlier post I talked about applying a rust patina with strong salt water and alot of very warm sun. Problem with this formula is that it is slow, the coverage is uneven, and well its hard to get warm sun in February! So, after some searching online, I found this instructable on rust patina. It is a quality instructable that guides you in the process in every conceivable way. The formula can be adjusted in proportions and the affects are immediate!
And behold I have created a patina solution that will literly rust metal before your eyes! It is cheap as it will cost you $1.25 not including the spray bottle, it is completely safe and biodegradable. You just don't want to drink it because it does contain peroxide. I mixed one teaspoong of seasalt(rock salt works) with about 7 to 8 ounces of vinegar and added freshly purchased 16 ounces of hydrogen peroxide. The peroxide should be mixed up and used as soon as possible after purchase as it does deteriorate with age. Keep your mixed solution in a dark opaque bottle in cool dark areas.
I needed a spray bottle to ensure that the rust solution would be applied evenly. Now most spray bottles have steel springs in the pump mechanism and hence would not be suitable for use with aggresive solutions like our perxode rusting solution. So, we need a spray bottle with all plastic parts and the Spraymaster serves this purpose admirably. Now it cost $6 to $10 depending where you buy it. I got mine at US Plastics but I am sure I have seen it at home improvement stores as well.
Now as far as the solution performance I was ASTOUNDED at is instanteous action! The steel was literly rusting before my eyes. After removing the original rust patina with muriatic acid on the workpiece, I hung the art with a hook and spray my solution on it. It was completely red after 5 minutes. I applied another coat like 3 hours later to be sure and let it dry overnight. Here is what I saw.
Talk about complete coverage this is great! It almost has a gloss finish to boot! I am going to apply an oil based finish and I will talk about that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment