Friday, October 21, 2011

How to hide a weld

How to weld from behind
When making metal art, furnuture, or decor; there will be numerous occasions when you want to permanantely attach a metal piece on top another without wanting the weld to show. This could be for various reasons. The part might be small and easily damaged or the weld itself would interfere with the cosmetics of the work. What I am about to show you is a very simply way to do this. But it is quite effective.
Forgive if my pictures are hazy because the camera kept fogging up in the Amazonian humidity we have been experiencing this summer. What you see in the top two pictures is a washer and a 1/8" thick steel square plate. As you might have observed, I want to plae the washer on top the plate in the far left corner. Using a sharpy, I marked three spots where I knew the washer would cover. Then I used a 7/32" titanium nitride drill bit with a little 3 in 1 oil and drilled holes art those three marks.
Next, after polishing drilled plate with grinder, I flipped my assembly upside down, made sure
the placement of the washer is where I wanted it, then I simply filled in th holes with my flux core wire welder. I brought the grinder again and smoothed out the welds and ...PRESTO weld gone! Now it looks as if the washer and the plate are a single piece of metal!

No comments:

Post a Comment